Kitchens are 'the new living rooms'
The kitchen is such a crucial part of the modern-day home that it is rapidly becoming "the new living room", it has been claimed.
In an article for the Manila Bulletin, Carlomar Daoana explained that the kitchen has traditionally been strictly reserved for the preparation and cooking of food.
However, he noted that in the age of open-plan designs and restricted space within properties, homeowners should not underestimate the importance of a quality fitted kitchen.
"Now that the kitchen is in full view from any vantage point, it doesn't make sense to keep it staid and clinical," he wrote.
"In fact, there is now a conscious effort to bring the kitchen in resonance with [the] space's overall design theme."
Mr Daoana also explained that the location of the counter is particularly crucial to making the kitchen a hub for relaxing, with a central position the most likely to achieve this goal.
A similar view was outlined recently by architect Jose Eduardo Calma, who suggested in an interview with the Inquirer that kitchens are now as important as living rooms.
- The best kitchens 'combine practical innovations and good looks' (02/07/2011)
- Designer Kitchens: A Fusion Of Functionality, Good Taste And Style (23/03/2011)
- A Quintessential Modern Kitchen For Homeowners With Exquisite Taste (23/03/2011)
- Use 'natural materials' for an on-trend contemporary kitchen (28/02/2011)
- Kitchen design is becoming more focused around cooking (28/02/2011)